Culture & Heritage
Konda Reddy Buruju:
Konda Reddy Buruju is located in the heart of Kurnool & believed to be built by the Raja’s of Vijayanagaram. It was a part of Kurnool fort & was used as a prison. One revolutionary Konda Reddy attained martyrdom in this prison. Since then the place is known as KondaReddy Buruju.
Abdul Wahab Khan Tomb (Golgumbaz), Kurnool:
Abdul Wahab Khan was the first bijapur Governor at Kurnool. His remains were buried under this imposing structure which is ideally situated on the banks of hundri river, and was built in hjijiri 1028 (1618 A.D) this beautiful edifice with its domes and arches is much admired.
The builders of this structure used a few beams in stone and it may be presumed had wooden centering and then arranged chiseled stones using special kind of lime with jaggary. The builders of this gumbaz used arches to bear and sustain the load of the super structure.
Gumbaz to denote the dome structure is a fine place of mughal architecture and deserves a study by persons having interest in the field.
Sri Rupalasangameswara Jagannatha Gattu Temple:
Sri Rupalasangameswara Swamy Temple constructed in 8th century at Sangameswaram by the Chalukyas. This temple was rebuilt from Sangameswaram which submerging in the Srisailam project water in the year 1984. It is situated on top of the hills near G.Pulla Reddy Engineering College in Nandyal road of NH-18. The Siva temple with marvelous sculpture. This temple was constructed by the rastrakuta king Krishna. It is the model temple of Kailasanatha Temple in Ellora Caves. It attracts so many pilgrims and tourists. A 50 feet Abhayanjaneya statue was constructed recently on the hill. Devotees celebrate Sivarathri and Karthikamasam as main festival.
Sri Lakshmi Jagannadha Gattu Cave Temple, Lakshmipuram Village:
10 Kms from Kurnool on NH-7, 3 kms from Highway Jagannatha Gattu Temple is in the midst of hills and forest green valley. The peaceful, non pollute attractive the cave pull the tourists and pilgrims. Vijayanagara Kings constructed and patronized this temple. Jagannatha Swamy with Sridevi, Bhudevi are famous in the shape of Lingam (Phallus). At the bottom the hill there is Koneru. In the same complex recently Tourism Department constructed Dormitory Blocks, Children’s park, Water facilities, Cafeteria, C.C Road, Ferro Cement Structures etc., Chariot festival is famous in this area.
Kethavaram Rock Paintings:
Along a stretch of rocks at Kethavaram near Orvakallu, paintings dating from Paleolithic age have been found and these sets of drawings have been dated down the ages, from realistic drawings of large deer by hunter gathers, through symbolic humans of the Iron Age and to the handprints of more recent pilgrims. This can be called one of the world’s longest sequences of rock art.
Nawab Bungalow (Summer Palace), Pathapadu Village:
The Pathapadu Bunglow which was used as rest house during summer was constructed by Mirfazal Ali Khan in 1908. The summer palace is constructed with lime stone. The buildings also constructed with lime stone available in the near by areas. Actually the building is due its attractions a place for shooting location for film industry. It is a place of visit on the way to Yaganti Kshetram. On the way of the Yaganti famous temple the Nawab Bungalow is attracting most of the tourists towards its historical and heritage values.
Adoni Fort, Adoni Town:
The Fort standing on the Rocky Granite Hills appears to be an important stronghold of the Vijayanagar Kings. The remains of fortification surrounded by a group of five hills. Inscriptions mention the construction of several temples at this place during the time of Krishnadevaraya. Sri Veerabhadra Swamy, Yogini Lakshmamma, Sri Venkateswara Swamy, Mangaraya Swamy. There are some Muslim monuments like Syed Aminuddin Alis Syed Masoom Peer Husaini Urs and Syed Shagulu Husaini Saheb Urs which might have been constructed during the days of Muslim occupation. Some of the important places in the town are the Kaman Bhavi of 50’X50’ constructed by Siddi Masud Khan, the Governor of Adoni, the Jumma Masjid, a Find piece of Muslim Architecture, the Venkanna Bhavi, an outstanding large well built by Venkanna Pant, Diwan of Siddi Masud Khan.
Thomos Munro Statue, Pattikonda:
On the 1st November 1800 the Government Madras appointed Major Munro as principal Collector over the ceeded districts with four sub-collectors under his immediate control. At that time there were eighty palegars who occupied a position more or less similar to that of the Rajahs and Zamindars of the circars. The palegars in Rayalaseema were not in a mood to recognize the authority of the British. They refreshed to pay the resheash fixed by major Thomas Munro. Who was the collector of the aided districts. Munro sent forces to force the palegars to surrender their forts and armed forces. He was forced to surrender and later was hared of the forty one years of service in the English East Indian company in Madras presidency in various capacities from that of an ordinary soldier to that of the Governor (1800-1807) he spent in the basically moulded his art look, and personality. He died in Pattikonda 1827.
Munro Statue on a stone slab: on a wall in the office of M.R.O Office Pathikonda. The stone inscription records the sad demise of Sir Thomas Munro on 6th July, 1827 at Pathikonda due to cholera.Munro – Governor of Madras Presidency 1820 – 1827. Four Pillar Mantapa in front of M.R.O office, Pathikonda. Most of visitors visit the destination to know the history of that place.
Emperor Asoka Rock Edicts, Jonnagiri Village:
A prominent granite hill rock bearing “Emperor Ashokan” inscriptions at Jonnagiri village, Kurnool District. From a cultural heritage perspective, the ancient “Emperor Ashoka” tablets and identified as a monument of Andhra Pradesh recognized by the Archeological Survey of India under the Ministry of Culture headed by the Prime Minister of India, which attracts a lot of tourists round the year from all over the world.
There are 8 major rock edicts still existing and exposed ancient rock tablets with Buddhist script lithographs embedded in what are known as the world famous “Emperor Ashoka” rock edicts in our country and each has 14 edicts. One of the 8 major rocks edicts is at Jonnagiri. The word Jonnagiri evolved from Sonnagiri, which was distorted form of Suvarnagiri, the southern capital of the Ashokan Empire. As the name suggests, Suvarnagiri means “Mountain of Gold”. As time passed Suvarnagiri came to be called as Sonnagiri and later Jonnagiri. It is situated 13 kms away from Gooty railway station.
During the times of Emperor Ashoka in 245 BC, lithographs were made in Pali language. Inscription on rocks were called “Shila Lekh”. In Jonnagiri Village, these rock edicts still exist in Pali script. There are some 8 large rocks with clear inscriptions preserved on them, stating that the diamonds, gemstones and gold are found here and all that is found here and all that is found belongs to the Emperor Ashoka. It contains two minor rock edicts. The rock edicts were inscribed in Brahmi script and Prakrit language